According to the Indian Food Services Report (2016), the restaurant industry in India was worth INR 3 lakh crore approximately and is estimated to reach INR 5 lakh crore by the end of the year 2021. However, one shouldn’t let the bigger picture of profitability cloud the legal obligations to be undertaken as a single fallacy can cost someone its dream. The industry requires the procurement of a wide range of licenses and registrations, failure to do so has legal repercussions that one would rather avoid. One such license is the Eating House Licence.
What is Eating House License?
Eating House is said to be a place where different kinds of food or drink can be supplied for the consumption of the general public i.e. a restaurant.
To operate an Eating House or restaurant in India, one has to obtain the Eating House License from the monitoring authority. For Eating House License, an applicant has to apply to the State Police Headquarters or the Licensing Police Commissioner of that city where one wants to open an outlet. Applications for the same can be found online. (Differ from state to state)
Documents Required To Obtain An Eating House License
The following documents are required to obtain an eating house license in India:
- Application form.
- Site Plan of Eating House.
- Postcard size photographs of the Eating House.
- Scanned Copy of valid Trade License from NDMC/MCD/DCB/Airport Authority of India along with the fee receipt.
- Legal occupancy proof of the Eating House and a NOC from the landlord in case of a tenancy.
- Identity and Residential Address Proof of the applicant.
- An affidavit on stamp paper of Rs.10/- which has to be duly attested by Notary;
- If the seating capacity of people in the eating house is 50 or more than that then a Fire NOC is also required.
- An undertaking for amusement activities (if any) and installation of CCTV Cameras with 30 days recording facility.
- Certificate of incorporation and details of Directors in case of Company.
- Copy of Board Resolution.
- GST Registration Certificate.
- FSSAI License.
- Details of Employees.
- Police Clearance Certificate.
- Fire Safety measures and installation proof.
Procedure for Eating House License Registration
- The applicant has to register on the specific website (differ from state to state). Once the person is successfully registered, he/she will receive a User ID and Password for submission of forms.
- Submit all the necessary documents. The self-attestation of all the documents is a must since it will ensure validation. There are numerous grounds for rejection of an application. The licensing authority may ask for any other specific documents if required.
- On successful completion of the application, one needs to fix an appointment with Additional Commissioner of Police, Licensing, for scrutiny of his/her application and supporting documents.
- For an update on the application, one needs to take a follow-up with the government department. However, the fees will be forfeited by the government in case the application is rejected due to misrepresentation of the facts.
- In order to review application, licensing authority will take around 45-60 working days and after that only will grant the Eating House License.
Opening a restaurant can be an overwhelming process. One needs to choose a restaurant concept, its name, the right location, hire quality staff, get licenses and to publicize the restaurant in the right way.
The exact laws and regulations for each license are often specific to different cities and states. One should understand all of the various licenses they need on the state and city level. Obtaining them is a critical step towards opening a new food joint and avoiding any disastrous penalties.
With the right rules & knowledge in hand, even getting an Eating House License can turn into a cakewalk. LetsComply’s legal experts can help you in getting your Eating House License in no minute. To know more, call us at +91-9717070500 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.